D's Food 'n Stuff

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Cheese

I love cheese. Liss knows this, so I got a really nice cheese tray for Christmas. My kids love it as well, but tonight surprised me. At the store earlier today, I went to the cheese section to see what was new. I picked up a new wedge of parmesan to go with the smoked gouda and farmers cheese I already had. I spied a new offering - Bresso. I used to eat this stuff almost every day when I lived in Germany so I was glad to see it here, in our little desert town. Bresso is a cream cheese with garlic and herbs de provence, REALLY GOOD STUFF! Just as we were about to leave, I spotted another German import, a creamy brie-type cheese with mushrooms, which I bought.

Dylan had noticed a small box of cheese with goats on it, and had proceeeded to throw about a dozen or so of them into the basket.

"What do you think you are doing?"

"I want these."

"Do you know what they are?" I asked.

"No , but they have a goat on them."

"Right. They're cheese made from goat milk."

"Mmm," he said, "I want to try them."

"Okay." I said, with more than a hint of skepticism!

I do not like goat cheese. I remember goats when I was growing up, as we had neighbors who had them, and their cheese always, to me, smells like a wet goat, I just can't stomach it.

Fast forward to tonight. Liss has gone to bed, as she worked last night, and the kids are hungry, so we have pears, cheese, and bread or crackers (for them, I had a nice foccacia!)

"Daddy, I want the goat cheese."

"Okay,'" I said, spreading some on Dylan's crackers. I watched eagerly as he took the first bite - heaven. The kid loved it and, at five, discovered a new taste to make him happy. I still could not eat the stuff, but Dylan loved it. Caitlyn thought it smelled like an old sock but, then again, she thought my mushroom cheese was the most vile thing she had ever smelled and stuck to her pears and parmesan.

I love that my kids are willing to try all of the stuff I cook, and have an open mind about eating something "different." Tonight's cheese experience was great, and I can't wait to do it again, though I think I will stay away from Stilton!!!

As they lay on the couch tonight, waiting for the sandman, we had a nice talk about food and what people around the world eat, from kidneys to palm grubs to cobras. I hope that I have instilled in them the idea that food is not just something to fill a tummy, but is something that should make your mouth happy and bring a smile. I hope that your food does the same for you.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home